Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Garden of 2012

[Update 8-16-12] I pulled another 8+ pounds of tomatoes out of the garden last night and decided since the tomatoes were too big now for the vegetable bin in the fridge that I should make a sauce.  I made a mix sauce this time, combining the lemonboys with the celebrity tomatoes. Here's how it came out.
A combination of Lemon Boys and Celebrity tomatoes make up this sauce.  That and some basil, oregano, onions and garlic - YUM!


Most of our country is experiencing one of the worst drought since the 1990's, yet our portion of the country has been wet. I don't know how wet exactly compared to the norm but I will look that up later for both our curiosities' sakes.   I have been writing about my garden this year on my other blog - I hadn't yet decided to dedicate a blog purely to vegetable and herb gardening until recently, like ten minutes ago. No it's really like two weeks ago but I procrastinated about it and was busy with all my other blogs (none of which I have been working on other than in my head). It's been a busy month - both in the garden and out.
You see my first born, my only son is going to college soon. The last minute realization of - oh shit! we need to get our crap together has started to hit us as I find myself placing last minute orders from Amazon for things I think he might need/want in his dorm.  The past few weeks as the summer days have been ticking away ever closer to the first of his groups departure - the boys would hang out on the patio by the pool and admire all fruits and veggies in the garden.  Earlier in the summer one of them had actually said they had never thought about growing his own food - ironically, it was the kid who is most outdoorsy. Recently, I witness a priceless expression on his face in relation to the garden but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Keep in mind the boys I am talking about are all 18, 19 years old from the Connecticut suburbs of New York City. 41 miles to be exact. [I'm a City kid, so my point of reference is my old apartment building to where I live now in Connecticut.]  Anyway, not to distract you from my main point which is that these boys hadn't thought about where their food really came from or could come from and they have been amazed* at what went on here this summer. *I'm only assuming this since I haven't really asked them but I base my statement on what I saw them eat from the garden and their reactions to it that I actually witnessed.  When your child is that old and about to embark on the next stage of their life, you rarely get to see firsts any more. It's like witnessing Hailey's Comet; you're either not there to see it and if you are lucky enough to be there, blink and you could miss it altogether. My most recent "sighting" was when one of my son's friend - the outdoorsy one- bit into a cherry tomato for the first time.  The expression on his face when the small tomato has gushed with and splattered juice all over his chin was priceless.  His eyes popped from surprise. He had never had a tomato before.
As I started to say before the boys distracted me as they usually do, our weather this summer has been perfect for our gardening needs. We've had a mix of rain and sun which has produced tomato plants which tower to heights of 8 feet or more - if we had stakes that went higher the plants wouldn't have any problem reaching eights of 10 feet I'm sure.  The eggplant harvest so far is 8 pounds and counting. The tomatoes are close to 12 pounds, maybe 15 pounds and certainly we have another 15 pounds still growing on the vine!  The cucumbers have gone crazy and I haven't weighed those but we have taken off 5 or 6 nice sized cukes and have plenty more growing on those vines.
A collage of some of the produce we have harvested this season so far!

Yummy delicious cherry tomatoes. The kids love these and are constantly eating them while hanging out by the pool.

Some of our many lemon boys I have come to love so much.

We have already harvested 8 pounds and there is probably another 10 on the vine. So I am actively looking for eggplant recipes.  I made a killer eggplant parmigiana the other day.

Another collage of the veggies!

Are they beautiful?! Every day practically I am hauling in colanders of vegetables.

I love looking at the beautiful fruits hanging from the plants in the raised bed garden we put in.


The first of many canned sauces.  Two red and one lemon-boy sauce.
I have been really pleased with the lemon boys. I hadn't been familiar with them and I adore the way they taste!  We made a sauce from a batch which taste really good once you get passed the fact that its yellow and not red.
I brought in another 7 plus pounds of tomatoes tonight in from the garden.  Last this week we will have to get some more fresh mozzarella to enjoy with the tomatoes and I guess I will be making some more sauce.

The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul.  ~Alfred Austin

 

Peace ~ Xine







No comments:

Post a Comment